Sunday 8 February 2009

Could a Mixed Race band teach us something?

Saturday was an interesting day for me. I was invited to take part in a fundraising event in Aid of the Petrie Museum in London. It is all about things Egyptian.

I was to sell Ethnic Supplies products as part of the Souk, and in the evening Bloomsbury theatre became alive with Sahara Sounds more of the story here http://www.ecademy.com/node.php?op=reply&id=122403&pid=591544

I had never been to a Middle Eastern jazz concert and wasn't sure what to expect.I really loved the music and the atmosphere and the occasional jokes from the band leader had me laughing out loud.

However when I reflected on some of things he said as well as the make of the band I asked myself WHAT LESSONS WE COULD TAKE AWAY.

The band was made up of a men from Syria, Ireland, Palestine and Algeria brought together by the love of music. One of the numbers they played was not in any particular language and as far as I could make out it only contained vowels and accompanied with various instruments.

I did wonder whether agreeing with people from different walks of life, whose language you didn't speak or whose culture you didn't necessarily understand could be achieved with a similar concept.. YOU DON'T HAVE TO KNOW THE WORDS TO SING ALONG..

Realising that we are humans and that is what we have in common, appreciating that a little more perhaps? respecting others for who they are.. do we need to speak the same language for any of that?

What do you think?






Suhad showing off the colourfull hats from Ethnic Supplies





Suhad and I..and those yellow hats

No comments:

Post a Comment